Monday, November 3, 2014

Sometimes, the fat lady sings.

In the New Testament, it was popular superstition to believe that the spirit hovered around its dead body for three days. 
Why am I bringing this up? Because it's important. We all know what it's like to come to the end of something.
They believed that the spirit hovered over the body for three days, and that is why in some stories the passage of time between a person's death and the arrival of Jesus was so significant. Jesus didn't come for Lazarus until after four days. Jesus himself didn't rise until the third day. It wasn't until after everyone believed it couldn't be done. He didn't show up until everyone thought it was too late. It's easy for us to look back in retrospect and possibly glean some awe from the ancient stories. But ponder this, if only for a moment: don't you remember what it was like to lose hope? To stop believing in something?
If you don't, or can't, then you are blessed. But those of us who relive that loss can still recount it in far too great of detail. It's a shock to our systems, to become disillusioned from what we thought we knew. Whether it was a good concept or a harmful one, it still hurts to come to that moment when you know that things will never be the same. That whatever it is isn't coming back. That it's over. 
Don't you remember?

It's unpopular opinion time. Recently a giant church family (yes, Mars Hill) has fallen apart. I'm not here to take sides. I'm not here to point out injustices. I'm not here to excuse unacceptable behavior.
But I am here to admonish a portion of us who are outside of a family, merely looking in. I don't have much to say, only this: be careful.
It's only natural to be defensive, angry, even a little self righteous. Something inside of us boils a little bit when we are severely disappointed by church leadership. I get that. But in all of this, I only ask that those of us who are only watchers be aware. Remember.
Remember that we live in a fallen world with broken people. Remember that we do not struggle against flesh and blood, and that our enemy is far more real and dangerous than we realize. Remember that every media (no matter how refutable) slants, and lies, and twists. Remember that if we really want to explore an issue, then it's important to read a variety of sources. Remember that every group who has something to say, has some sort of personal stake in the matter. Remember that as churches, we do not exist to consistently slash and attack at each other. Remember that it's really easy to criticize an organization when we've never had to keep a several thousand member congregation running smoothly. Remember that leadership does not equal infallibility, and you will wish that someone is sensitive to you when your leadership fails you in some way. Remember that those who are leaders are in a tough position, and need encouragement just as much as we do. Remember that even if every detail of every decision in every lifetime were divulged, we still won't have the full story. 

A family is grieving. We can have the opinions we want, but none of them really matter. In their world, it's over. They've lost several someones who they trusted deeply--whether on valid grounds or not. There's no hope left. There's nothing now. It was all a waste. 
And it's funny--because that's usually when Jesus starts to work the magic that is restoration.

Though I spend time praying over the things I want to communicate to people, here I do admit that I speak from conjecture. I'm aware that there are several passages including all that is required of leadership. I'm aware that they are direly important. But I also speak from experience, lots of it, of which I'd prefer not to lay out in this particular forum (if that leaves you curious, I'd be happy to take you out to coffee and talk about it sometime :) ). Just believe me when I say that, even if it isn't intentional--every article posted, every status updated, every snide remark and every jab made in sermons and speeches across the nation, are yet another stone throne in the direction of people who are just trying to get past it and move on. 

So be careful. Believe what you want. Research what you want. Take whatever side you want. However, before making a comment, ask yourself some questions. Is it relevant? Am I being a light? Am I using discernment? Is it productive for the sake of the gospel? 

If not, then I--respectfully--ask you to consider shutting your pie hole. 

No comments:

Post a Comment